Social Work Assistant – Fostering Team
£23,000 – £28,000 dependent on qualifications & experience
Channels & Choices is an award winning, dynamic company specialising in children’s residential care, Fostering and Education based in South East Kent. OFSTED judge our services as ‘Outstanding’.
We are currently looking to recruit a Social Work Assistant based within our Fostering Agency in South East Kent. This position is a permanent role to assist Fostering Social Workers in their role of recruiting, supervising and supporting foster carers who provide care for the children in the care of Channels and Choices based in Kent. This role will provide high quality support and guidance to foster carers, their families and the children in their care. The successful candidate will be part of our unique, expanding organisation which helps children achieve their full potential.
Channels and Choices Therapeutic Fostering specialise in working with children who have experienced trauma, most will have an attachment disorder. We create a secure base for all the children in our care and we focus on achieving seamless transitions so that children can be part of a loving and nurturing family.
The post is permanent, full time (37.5 hours) and is based within our Fostering Team in South East Kent. We offer a competitive salary of £23,000 – £28,000 per annum. Further benefits include 36 days paid annual leave per year and a loyalty scheme which rewards you with extra annual leave following 2 years of service.
These are exciting times as Channels & Choices continues to expand and develop its Fostering & Residential Services and we are looking for someone to join our dynamic multi-disciplinary staff team who has a passion for promoting outstanding outcomes for children in care.
- Ensure compliance with regulations, legislation and best practice guidelines
- Provide practical support to foster carers and offer support and guidance on foster children in line with their Care Plans
- Advise on practical child care and parenting skills, including setting boundaries and managing challenging behaviours
- Be responsive at times of need providing intensive support to
foster carers as and when required
- Liaise and support foster carers regarding contact between foster children and their families, either in the foster home or at other locations as agreed in the Care Plan
- Support foster carers in their own personal development and foster caring skills to ensure that they are fully equipped to respond to the needs of the children in their care
- Keep accurate and up to date records of visits and contact with foster carers
- Regular liaison with internal colleagues and updating the child’s social worker
- Produce reports, contribute to meetings and reviews as and when required
- To attend Fostering Panel, supporting the Fostering Social Worker, as and when necessary
- Develop good relationships with families, foster carers, children and other professionals
- Assist Fostering Social Workers to identify and match children that may require respite care
- Attend and participate in regular supervision and undertake training as and when required
- Ensure an excellent quality service that promotes positive outcomes for looked after children
- Promote the company and ensure professional standards are maintained at all times
- Educated to GSCE level or equivalent in English & Maths
- Social Work Qualification
- Level 3 Diploma in a child or Social Care related subject
- Previous experience of working with children &, adolescents preferably within a Care Setting, Fostering Agency or similar setting
- Experience of working with relevant client groups who present with his levels of complexity and difficulty
- Experience in working within a Children & Families Team or Fostering Team
Skills and Abilities (Essential)
- Excellent verbal , communication and interpersonal skills in order to communicate effectively with carers, children, families and colleagues
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative as well as within a team
- Ability to build relationships and promote change
- Computer literate for report writing
- Skills in providing consultation to foster carers or other client groups
- Ability to identify and provide appropriate means of support to carers and staff exposed to distressing situations and challenging behaviour
- Good understanding of child development
- Understanding of Child Protection & Safeguarding
- Good understanding of GDPR and confidentiality issues
- Working knowledge of current statutory and regulatory guidelines governing the operation of fostering, services for children and young people and of child care legislation
- Working knowledge of Attachment Theory based practice
- Knowledge of the mental health needs of children and adolescents
Personal Qualities (Essential)
- Commitment to continued professional and personal development
- Emotionally resilient
- Commitment to equal opportunities and valuing diversity
- Demonstrate a commitment to supervision and reflective practice
- Driver with use of own car.
We have a strong commitment to staff development and there will be considerable opportunities for internal and external training and for sharing good practice within the community.
Channels and Choices are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the young people in our care. Staff are all required to adhere to the organisation’s Safeguarding Policies and Procedures. This post will be subject to a clear Enhanced DBS Disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of a right to work in the UK. As part of our commitment to Safer Recruitment, CV’s cannot be considered without a completed application form.