Gardener/Groundsman (Part Time)
Channels & Choices is an award winning, dynamic company specialising in children’s residential care, Fostering and Education based in South East Kent. OFSTED judge our services as ‘Outstanding’.
We are currently looking to recruit a skilled, reliable and motivated individual to maintain our beautiful 7 acres site in Dover and upkeep the gardens of our Children’s Residential Homes
The post is for a 12 Month Fixed Term Contract, part time – 18 hours per week – between Monday – Friday
We offer a competitive salary – Full time Equivalent of £19,000 – £21,000per annum – pro-rata for part time hours. Further benefits include paid annual leave per year
As a member of the grounds team you will be responsible, alongside other staff and under the supervision of our Maintenance Team Leader, for the day to day maintenance of the garden and wider landscapes of the estate, including a 3 acre lake.
You will assist in the ongoing development of the garden maintenance plans and be able to demonstrate a flexible approach to working as a member of the team.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Work under the direction of the Maintenance Team Leader in relation to all works carried out
- Maintain a high standard of horticulture through the grounds
- Carry out seasonal gardening duties across the site with a particular focus on landscape maintenance and the lake which is part of the grounds
- Undertake horticultural tasks including hard landscape maintenance, grass cutting, edging, pruning, dead heading, weeding, planting, hedge cutting, composting, staking, applying pesticides along with any other tasks required.
- Maintain the gardens for all of the Children’s Residential Homes on a regular basis
- Comply with all current Health and Safety legislation
- Communicate health and safety issues to the Maintenance Team Leader and take responsibility for stopping work and the work of others if you believe any acts to be dangerous or negligent to the person or those around, including but not limited to other staff, contractors and any other staff on site
- A broad knowledge and experience of garden and landscape maintenance would be preferred
- Ability to work at speed while delivering consistently high-quality horticulture and finish/presentation
- Demonstrable horticultural skills and the ability to work alone or with small teams
- Motivated, reliable, committed to delivering a good job and friendly, approachable manner
Channels and Choices are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the young people in our care. Staff are all required to adhere to the organisation’s Safeguarding Policies and Procedures. This post will be subject to a clear Enhanced DBS Disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of a right to work in the UK. As part of our commitment to Safer Recruitment, CV’s cannot be considered without a completed application form.