Experienced Speech & Language Therapist
Salary Range – £41,000 – £47,000 per annum – (salary is dependent on Qualifications and Experience)
Full Time (37.5 hours) and Part Time hours would be considered – This is a permanent position based across our Therapeutic Community in our Head Office at Kearsney Manor, Temple Ewell, Kent.
These are exciting times as Channels & Choices continues to expand and develop its Residential service, Fostering Service and Sallygate School. We currently have an opportunity for experienced, innovative and enthusiastic candidate to join our multi-disciplinary Therapy Team within Channels & Choices Therapeutic Community.
Channels & Choices is a centre of excellence in therapeutic child-care. Our community, based in East Kent, is made up of 7 therapeutic residential children’s homes, a school and a therapeutic fostering service. As a member of our community you would play a key part in transforming children’s lives and helping them reach their full potential. Your role would involve working with children across all aspects of the community whilst also supporting the adults who care for the children.
We provide a unique and innovative ‘stepping stones’ placements to children. The stepping stones model offers children therapeutic residential care, which aims to support them to transition to fostering and be able to enjoy living as part of a foster family.
- Work as part of a therapeutic community, working within a multi-disciplinary therapy team, to continue to develop the provision within the organisation;
- Work in partnership with colleagues from across the community by providing direct advice and support to children, residential staff and foster carers;
- To provide interventions, treatments and strategies to support the children in our care
- To provide specialist education and training to staff and carers across the community
- Contribute to research into the provision of treatments for children
- Provide a comprehensive, initial assessment which will form part of a wider assessment, identifying the needs of the child so appropriate treatments can be agreed
- Provide comprehensive, professional and accurate reports, written and verbal for internal and external colleagues
- Participate and provide feedback for meetings
- To devise, monitor, supervise and evaluate the implementations of intervention programmes
- Making effective use of supervision, support, training and guidance;
- Provide all interventions giving due regard and consideration to issues of racial, religious, cultural and sexual orientation
- Knowledge of the latest research, theory and literature to support evidence based practice
- To be part of regular discussions and reviews of children’s care and support with other members of the community
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of other relevant legislation for children’s social care including safeguarding policies and procedures
- Relevant degree level qualification to practice Speech & Language
- Registered with HCPC
- Specialist experience of the assessment for children with neuro-developmental disabilities and related conditions
- Experience of writing comprehensive reports and assessments
- Experience of delivering interventions to children, young people and adults
- Experience in providing consultation and guidance to other professionals and non-professional groups
- Working with children who are in the care system
Skills & Abilities (Essential)
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative as well as within a team
- Ability to build relationships and promote change
- Computer literate for report and assessment writing
- Ability to use supervision effectively to process and reflect on the support provided
- Ability to identify and provide appropriate means of support to carers and staff exposed to distressing situations and challenging behaviour
Skills & Abilities (Desirable)
- Ability to develop or facilitate training courses
- Good understanding of child development
- Knowledge and skills of theories, practice, and research in the field of Speech & Language Therapy
- Understanding of Child Protection & Safeguarding
- Knowledge of the mental health needs of children and adolescents
Personal Qualities (Essential)
- Commitment to continued professional and personal development
- Professional credibility
- Commitment to equal opportunities and valuing diversity
- Demonstrate a commitment to supervision and reflective practice
- Warm, engaging and problem solving approach
- Driver with use of own car
We have a strong commitment to staff development and there will be considerable opportunities for internal and external training and for sharing good practice within the community.
Channels and Choices are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the young people in our care. Staff are all required to adhere to the organisation’s Safeguarding Policies and Procedures. This post will be subject to a clear Enhanced DBS Disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of a right to work in the UK.