Deputy Site Manager and Health and Safety Lead – School/Children’s Residential Services
£30,000 – £32,000 dependent on qualifications & experience
Channels & Choices is an award winning, dynamic company specialising in children’s residential care, Fostering and Education based in South East Kent. OFSTED judge our services as ‘Outstanding’
We are currently looking to recruit a Deputy Site Manager and Health and Safety Lead who is qualified in Health & Safety based within our Maintenance Team in Dover, Kent.
The post is permanent, full time (37.5 hours) with the additional responsibility of being on-call on a rota basis. We offer a competitive Salary Range of £30,000 – £32,000 per annum. You will be responsible alongside the Site Manager for the management of a 7-acre site which includes a large office building that incorporates a school alongside 7 children’s homes (6 being off site in the local area). You will also be the lead for Health and Safety including attending and facilitating team training including First Aid, Fire Marshall, and Water Safety. You will also need good practical building and general maintenance skills. A ccompany vehicle and mobile phone would be provided for business use.
Further benefits include:
- 36 days paid annual leave per year and a loyalty scheme which rewards you with extra annual leave following 2 years of service.
- An employee assistance and wellbeing program (EAP) for staff which includes counselling services, debt and finance support which is available to staff and adult family members within the home
- Opportunity to undertake specialist training if required to undertake the role
We have a strong commitment to staff development and there will be considerable opportunities for internal and external training and for sharing good practice within the community.
Deputy Site Manager and Health and Safety Lead
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all site Health & Safety, Fire & Security
- Preserving the infrastructure and ensuring all our facilities are safe and in good condition
- Manage general maintenance with the internal maintenance team and external contractors
- Full responsibility for health and safety across the site
- Ensure that any external contractors follow rules to comply with the rules of the site
- Ensure all staff are trained to the levels required by relevant laws and regulations
- Lead and manage fire marshals, consulting with the HR team to ensure all relevant training has been undertaken
- Ensure the site perimeters are safe and manage the security provision for the site.
- Line management of the maintenance team ensuring that they are fully aware of their daily/weekly tasks whilst following health & safety
- Ensuring that all risk assessments are in place for any works conducted
- Attend regular maintenance meetings
- Perform all routine and scheduled maintenance of properties; to include cleaning & repairs to property as rooms become vacant, and preparing property to be re-used in good condition
- Assist in house and property building work, renovations & upgrades as directed for example including painting and decorating, fitting kitchens, general plumbing and hanging doors
- Undertake key holder duties and provide access to all sites and buildings including call out requirements
- Respond to emergency maintenance calls
- Participating in an on-call system during non-working hours to deal with emergencies as necessary, which requires the employee to remain within reasonable travelling distance of your place of work and be ready to and respond to a call to attend work
- Prioritise work to complete it in a timely and efficient manner
- Complete other related paperwork as directed
- Keep track of receipts for items purchased for each job and submit receipts to the Directors on an at least weekly basis with activity logs
- The maintenance team are expected to operate in accordance with all Company policies and procedures, and should ensure they familiarise themselves with these
- Perform other duties as directed.
Qualifications & Experience
- Proven experience of working as a Site/Facilities Manager or Senior member of a team within a commercial or education environment, be competent in the use of IT.
- Working knowledge of Health & Safety Legislation and Regulations.
- Front line experience of management of a site is desirable
- Facilities Management or Health & Safety Qualification such as NEBOSH or equivalent IOSH (level 3) is desired but not essential
- General maintenance experience and skills to include decorating, general plumbing, minor building, and groundwork
- Previous experience of managing staff and a team
- Full clean driving licence essential
Channels & Choices are committed to ensuring that we are always recruiting, retaining, and promoting a diverse mix of colleagues who are representative of the diversity in our local community. We actively celebrate our staff’s different abilities, sexual orientation, ethnicity, faith, and gender. Everyone is welcome to apply for a job with Channels & Choices and our staff are supported in their development at all stages in their journey with us.
Channels and Choices are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the young people in our care. Staff are all required to adhere to the organisation’s Safeguarding Policies and Procedures. This post will be subject to a clear Enhanced DBS Disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of a right to work in the UK. As part of our commitment to Safer Recruitment, CVs cannot be considered without a completed application form.