Registered Manager – Children’s Home
Due to up and coming expansion, rewarding opportunities have arisen and we are currently looking for Registered Managers for our Therapeutic Children’s Homes who are keen for a new and exciting role.
Competitive Salary Range of £34,000 – £45,000 per annum. We offer 36 days paid annual leave per year and a loyalty scheme which rewards you with extra annual leave following 2 years of service.
Channels & Choices is an award winning, dynamic company specialising in children’s residential care, Fostering and Education based in South East Kent. OFSTED judge our services as ‘Outstanding’
The role of a Registered Manager is the person with overall responsibility for day to day management of the Children’s Home and is accountable for the delivery of a high quality of service provision, incorporating care, welfare, safety and security of all children and young people in their care in order for them to achieve a secure base. Supporting, leading and managing a team of staff who will provide protection and support the children with their physical, psychological, emotional & social development.
- Due to Ofsted Regulations, all employees in our Residential Service must be over 20 years of age;
- Experience of working in a Senior or Strategic Role within a children’s residential care setting
- Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Residential Service or equivalent
- GCSE in Maths and English at C Grade of above
- Physically fit
- Resilient, enthusiatic and motivated person
- Proven ability to lead staff teams and line management experience, including supervisions
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Calm, approachable manner, adaptable and non-judgemental
- Able to work under own initiative and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills
- Knowledge of Child Protection & Safeguarding
- GCSE in Maths and English at C Grade or above
- Ability to drive and holds a current driving licence
- NVQ or Diploma Level 5 in Leadership & Management in Residential Children’s Services or equivalent
- Previous experience in a Deputy Manager or Registered Manager role in a Residential Children’s Care Setting
- Social Work Qualification of Equivalent
- Any relevant or transferrable skills, such as First Aid trained
- Knowledge of the Children Act & Children’s Homes Regulations
- Understanding and knowledge of Therapeutic Approach to Childcare
Duties & Responsibilities
- In accordance with Channels and Choices health and safety policies and procedures, the registered individual is responsible for ensuring Health and Safety guidelines are adhered to.
- Responsible for keeping an up to date register of all young people being admitted transitioned to another provision and discharged from the service.
- Ensure operational manning levels are maintained within the home. The registered manager must liaise with the HR team to arrange and assist in interviewing new staff.
- Ensure that you and your staff work in accordance with the Statement of Purpose and Function of the home. Understand, update and continuously improve relevant Channels and Choices documents to include The Statement of Purpose, Young Person’s Guide, policies and practice standards; seeking approval and communicating changes to others as appropriate.
- Demonstrate effective leadership to direct and support the staff team to deliver person centered childcare working towards the best outcomes for each young person
- Manage, supervise and mentor staff; organize work patterns and training, and conduct and record regular supervisions and appraisals.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge, implement, adhere to and give guidance to other staff on: Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015, The Children Act 1989 & 2004, Care Standards Act 2000, Equal Opportunities Policies, National Quality Standards for Children’s Homes, and Local Authority Child Protection Procedures, and any subsequent changes to said legislation.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Ofsted Inspection guidelines, promptly implementing any recommendations following an Inspection. Timely notification of any significant events or changes within the home, including completion of Regulation 45 Reports within the given timeframe as instructed by Channels and Choices.
- To ensure that you and your staff team implement and adhere to Channels and Choices Safeguarding Policy and Local Authority Safeguarding procedures.
- Work cohesively and in partnership with team members and other professionals (Social Workers, Police, Education, and Health) to contribute and monitor the multidisciplinary assessment of children’s needs, support children in order for them to reach their full potential as outlined in their care plans, and in accordance with Channels and Choices Policies & Procedures, Local Authority Instructions and relevant legislation.
- Ensure Local Authority Social Workers are notified of all significant events, incidents, important changes and physical interventions within 24 hours.
- Ensure that young people receive a sensitive residential service which best meets their individual social, racial, psychological, educational, cultural, physical identity and health care needs according to the Statement of Purpose and Function of the Home and Channels and Choices policies and procedures, and children facing particular crisis and stresses are offered appropriate additional support in a timely manner.
- Organising the availability and deployment of staff within the home and wider Channels and Choices Community, ensuring rota’s are covered to meet regulations met.
- Ensure that the home is fit for purpose by ensuring that Fire Regulations and Health and Safety Regulations are met, Quality Assurance and Regulation 44 Reports action points are addressed promptly. Appropriate records are kept and that fire drill procedures are adhered to in accordance with Channels and Choices policies and procedures.
- Manage Performance and Development by using regular staff supervisions and annual appraisal process in order to promote a culture of self-awareness and understanding. Working in partnership with Senior Management and Human Resources to address and manage any issues of poor performance or misconduct
- Participate effectively in the on call duty system.
- Attend monthly Manager, TDP, Community and house meetings and implement any actions as agreed.
- Complete appropriate training including the level 5 diploma in Leadership and Management within the required timeframes, ensuring that an up to date training record is maintained.
- Additional responsibilities will include representation to Local Authorities and at panels, conference meetings and Strategy Groups; and analysing trends and Quality Assurance documentation to constantly strive to improve standards for young people in our care.
- Undertaking other duties as may be deemed appropriate from time to time.
We are looking for candidates who have proven managerial skills in a Residential Care Setting and are passionate about improving the lives and outcomes for children and young people. We are an activity based company and promote the well-being of our young people through a wide and varied programme of activities, sports and hobbies.
Channels & Choices is committed to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of children & young people. The post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of right to work in the UK.
CVs will not be considered without an application form.