We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, innovative and enthusiastic psychotherapist to join our Therapy Team within Channels & Choices Therapeutic Community. We are ideally seeking either, a Systemic & Family Psychotherapist, a Systemic Practitioner, a Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist, an Adult Psychotherapist or a Group Analyst.
Channels & Choices is a centre of excellence in therapeutic child care. Our community, based in East Kent, is made up of 6 therapeutic residential children’s homes, a school and a therapeutic fostering service. As a member of our community you would play a key part in transforming children’s lives and helping them reach their full potential. Your role would involve working across all aspects of the community, with a specific focus in working alongside and supporting foster carers.
We provide a unique and innovative ‘stepping stones’ placements to children. The stepping stones model offers children therapeutic residential care, which aims to support them to transition to fostering and be able to enjoy living as part of a foster family.
These are exciting times as Channels & Choices continues to expand and develop its Residential service, Fostering service and School. We are looking for someone to join our dynamic multi-disciplinary team who has a passion for promoting outstanding outcomes for children in our care. Our team includes the following disciplines; psychology, systemic psychotherapy, music therapy, counselling and play therapy.
We have a strong commitment to staff development and there will be considerable opportunities for internal and external training and for sharing good practice within the community.
Psychotherapist – (Systemic and Family Psychotherapist, experienced Systemic Practitioner, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist, Adult Psychotherapist or Group Analyst)
Responsible to Therapy Leads – Rebecca Jones and Becky Davison.
Internal: Children & Young People, Foster carers, Therapy Team, Fostering Team, Residential Home staff team, Company Directors and School staff
External: Local Authority Social Workers, External service providers for Mental Health Provisions, Parents & Families.
- Work as part of a therapeutic community, working within a multi-disciplinary therapy team, to continue to develop the therapeutic provision within the organisation;
- Work in partnership with colleagues from across the community to develop a therapeutic understanding by providing direct advice and support to children, residential staff and foster carers;
- To provide therapeutic interventions, including family work, individual work with children, and group work;
- To offer training and workshops to support foster carers, residential teams and school staff
- Support professionals within the community on how to communicate and develop strategies with traumatised children in order to reduce challenging behaviours and help build adult/child attachments;
- Working closely with the community to produce professional, comprehensive , therapeutic multi-disciplinary assessments /recommendations for children and their carers
- Provide clear and regular update reports and reviews of therapeutic work for internal and external colleagues;
- Support placement stability within fostering;
- Making effective use of supervision, support, training and guidance;
- Provide therapeutic interventions giving due regard and consideration to issues of racial, religious, cultural and sexual orientation
- Knowledge of the latest research, theory and literature to support evidence based practice
- To be part of regular discussions and reviews of children’s care and support with other members of the community
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of the latest research and theories alongside relevant legislation and safeguarding policies and procedures
Masters level training or qualification in Systemic and Family Psychotherapy, Group Analytical Therapy, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy or Adult Psychotherapy or an experienced Systemic Practitioner.
- Experience of working with children and families.
- Experience of facilitating groups
- Experience of writing therapeutic assessments
- Experience of delivering therapeutic interventions to children, young people and adults
- A minimum of 2 years post qualification experience
- Experience in providing consultation to other professionals and non-professional groups
- Working with children who are in the care system, their families and/or foster carers
- Experience of working with foster carers
Skills and Abilities (Essential)
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills in order to communicate effectively with carers, children, families and colleagues
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative as well as within a team
- Ability to build relationships and promote change
- Computer literate for report and assessment writing
- Ability to effectively use clinical and group supervision to process and reflect on the therapeutic support provided and group dynamics
- Ability to identify and provide appropriate means of support to carers and staff exposed to distressing situations and challenging behaviour
Skills and Abilities (Desireable)
- Ability to develop or facilitate training courses
- Good understanding of child development and attachment theory
- Knowledge and skills of theories, practice and research in the field of psychotherapy
- Understanding of Child Protection & Safeguarding
- Knowledge of the mental health needs of children and adolescents
Personal Qualities (Essential)
- Commitment to continued professional and personal development
- Professional credibility
- Commitment to equal opportunities and valuing diversity
- Demonstrate a commitment to supervision and reflective practice
- Warm, engaging and problem solving approach
- Driver with use of own car
Channels and Choices are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the young people in our care. Staff are all required to adhere to the organisation’s Safeguarding Policies and Procedures. This post will be subject to a clear Enhanced DBS Disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of a right to work in the UK.
As part of our commitment to Safer Recruitment, CV’s cannot be considered without a completed application form.