Due to up and coming expansion, rewarding opportunities have arisen and we are currently looking for an Area Manager for our Therapeutic Children’s Homes who are keen for a new and exciting role.
Competitive Salary Range of £38,000 – £45,000 per annum. We offer 36 days paid annual leave per year and a loyalty scheme which rewards you with extra annual leave following 2 years of service.
Channels & Choices is an award winning, dynamic company specialising in children’s residential care, Fostering and Education based in South East Kent. OFSTED judge our services as ‘Outstanding’
The role of an Area Manager involves operational support to The Head Of Care and the Senior Management Team of the Children’s Residential Service, overseeing the welfare of the young people; assist in recruitment, staff retention, managing staff issues and in the development of staff within the residential teams. The Area Manager role, in conjunction with the Head Of Care is accountable for the delivery of a high quality of service provision, incorporating care, welfare, safety and security of all children and young people in their care in order for them to achieve a secure base. Supporting a group of Registered Managers who will provide protection and support the children with their physical, psychological, emotional & social development in their care.
- Due to Ofsted Regulations, all employees in our Residential Service must be over 20 years of age;
- Experience of working in a Senior or Strategic Role within a children’s residential care setting
- Knowledge and understanding of the Children’s Homes Regulations
- Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Residential Service or equivalent
- GCSE in Maths and English at C Grade or above
- Physically fit
- Resilient, enthusiastic and motivated person
- Proven ability to lead staff teams and line management experience, including supervisions
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Calm, approachable manner, adaptable and non-judgemental
- Able to work under own initiative and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills
- Knowledge of Child Protection & Safeguarding
- Ability to drive and holds a current driving licence
- NVQ or Diploma Level 5 in Leadership & Management in Residential Children’s Services or equivalent
- Previous experience in a Deputy Manager or Registered Manager role in a Residential Children’s Care Setting
- Social Work Qualification of Equivalent
- Any relevant or transferrable skills, such as First Aid trained
- Understanding and knowledge of Therapeutic Approach to Childcare
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure that staff work in accordance with the Statement of Purpose and Function of the home.
- In accordance with Registered Managers, understand and advise on updates and continuously improve relevant Channels and Choices Statement of Purpose, policies and practice standard.
- Assist with the strategic planning for developments within the home and all day to day management matters.
- Mentor Registered Managers, and assist with supervisions and appraisals.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge, implement, adhere to and give guidance to managers and other staff on: Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015 &Quality Standards, The Children Act 1989 & 2004, Care Standards Act 2000,Equal Opportunities Policies, and Local Authority Child Protection Procedures, and any subsequent changes to said legislation.
- Ensure Managers undertake recommendations of OFSTED Inspections Reports promptly
- Employ and demonstrate by example, good childcare practice and a professional social work approach to work with children or young people’s families through maintaining professional knowledge and skills. This includes when young people are in crisis.
- Work alongside and in partnership with members of Channels and Choices Therapeutic Community and other professionals (Social Workers, Police, Education, and Health) to help children in care reach targets and expectations as outlined in their care plans and other plans for permanence.
- Ensure that Managers/Deputy Managers notify Social Workers of all incidents and physical interventions within 24 hours
- Routinely check that all Schedule 6 Manager Quarterly reports are completed in a timely manner and to a high standard.
- Attend any relevant meetings as and when required.
- Routinely check House Budgets to ensure they are accurate and recording procedures are being followed
- Ensure that all placement(s) agreements and records with all those involved with care of the child or young person are kept up to date and adhered to
- Support managers during recruitment, induction and ongoing support and development of staff as appropriate (to include probation reviews, appraisals and supervisions as and when necessary).
- Have an overview of House rotas and make amendments or changes if the need arises to ensure that Quality Standards and all health & safety aspects are met within the houses
- Manage poor performance, staff absence and lead or participate in any disciplinary or grievance meetings as and when necessary in partnership with Human Resources.
- Attendance and involvement with staff meetings as and when required.
- Being available to host Ofsted and support House Managers during inspections or Local Authority visits.
- Demonstrate a commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people in line with appropriate legislation and company policies, and ensure all staff and volunteers share this commitment.
- Attend appropriate training and maintain an up to date training record.
- Offer advice and support to teams as required.
- Such other duties as may be deemed appropriate from time to time.
We are looking for candidates who have proven managerial skills in a Residential Care Setting and are passionate about improving the lives and outcomes for children and young people. We are an activity based company and promote the well-being of our young people through a wide and varied programme of activities, sports and hobbies.
Channels & Choices is committed to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of children & young people. The post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of right to work in the UK.