Area Manager – Children’s Residential Children’s Homes
£42,000 – £47,000 per annum dependent on qualifications & experience
Full Time 37.5 hours per week , Permanent Position
Due to up and coming expansion, rewarding opportunities have arisen and we are currently looking for an Area Manager for our Therapeutic Children’s Homes who are keen for an exciting and rewarding role.
Competitive Salary Range of £42,000 – £47,000 per annum. We also offer 36 days paid annual leave per year and a loyalty scheme which rewards you with extra annual leave each year for up to 5 years following 2 years of service.
Channels & Choices is an award winning, dynamic company specialising in children’s residential care, Fostering and Education based in South East Kent. OFSTED judge our services as ‘Outstanding’
The role of an Area Manager involves operational support to the Responsible Individual and the position is part of the Senior Management Team. The successful candidate will oversee the welfare of the children placed within our residential houses and support a group of Registered Managers to ensure outstanding care is provided at all times, staff are well supported and each house is Ofsted inspection ready.
Person Specification (Essential)
- Due to Ofsted Regulations, all employees in our Residential Service must be over 20 years of age;
- Experience of working in a Senior or Strategic Role within a children’s residential care setting
- Knowledge and understanding of the Children’s Homes Regulations
- Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Residential Service or equivalent
- GCSE in Maths and English at C Grade or above
- Physically fit
- Resilient, enthusiastic and motivated person
- Proven ability to lead staff teams and line management experience, including supervisions
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Calm, approachable manner, adaptable and non-judgemental
- Able to work under own initiative and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills
- Knowledge of Child Protection & Safeguarding
- Ability to drive and holds a current driving licence
Person Specification (Desirable)
- NVQ or Diploma Level 5 in Leadership & Management in Residential Children’s Services or equivalent
- Previous experience in a Deputy Manager or Registered Manager role in a Residential Children’s Care Setting
- Social Work Qualification of Equivalent
- Any relevant or transferrable skills, such as First Aid trained
- Understanding and knowledge of Therapeutic Approach to Childcare
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure that staff work in accordance with the Statement of Purpose and Function of each of the houses.
- Understand and advise Registered Managers on updates and continuously seek to improve relevant Channels & Choices practice standards.
- Assist with the strategic planning for developments within the home and all day to day management matters.
- Attend all TTT (therapeutic thinking times) for each allocated house to gage and support team dynamics alongside a member of our therapy team.
- Mentor Registered Managers, and assist with supervisions and appraisals.
- Attend Ofsted inspections and LA visits for allocated houses and support the Manager as necessary throughout the process.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge, implement, adhere to and give guidance to managers and other staff on: Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015 &Quality Standards, The Children Act 1989 & 2004, Care Standards Act 2000, Equal Opportunities Policies, and Local Authority Child Protection Procedures, and any subsequent changes to said legislation.
- Ensure Managers undertake recommendations of Ofsted Inspections Reports promptly
- Employ and demonstrate by example, good childcare practice and a professional social work approach to work with children or young people’s families through maintaining professional knowledge and skills. This includes when young people are in crisis.
- Work alongside and in partnership with members of Channels & Choices Therapeutic Community and other professionals (Social Workers, Fostering, Police, Education, and Health) to help children in care reach targets and expectations as outlined in their care plans and other plans for permanence.
- Ensure that Managers/Deputy Managers notify Social Workers of all incidents and physical interventions within 24 hours.
- Develop and implement an internal quality assurance system for residential services alongside the RI to compliment the Reg 44 process and ensure that standards in houses remain at an outstanding level.
- Routinely check that all Schedule 6 Manager Quarterly reports are completed in a timely manner and to a high standard.
- Attend relevant meetings as and when required.
- Routinely check House Budgets to ensure they are accurate and recording procedures are being followed
- Ensure that all placement(s) agreements and records with all those involved with care of the child or young person are kept up to date and adhered to
- Support managers during recruitment, induction and ongoing support and development of staff as appropriate (to include probation reviews, appraisals and supervisions as and when necessary).
- Have an overview of House rotas and make amendments or changes if the need arises to ensure that Quality Standards and all health & safety aspects are met within the houses
- Manage poor performance, staff absence and lead or participate in any disciplinary or grievance meetings as and when necessary in partnership with Human Resources.
- Attendance and involvement with staff meetings as and when required.
- Demonstrate a commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people in line with appropriate legislation and company policies, and ensure all staff and volunteers share this commitment.
- Attend appropriate training and maintain an up to date training record.
- Such other duties as may be deemed appropriate from time to time.
We are looking for candidates who have proven managerial skills in a Residential Care Setting and are passionate about improving the lives and outcomes for children and young people. We are an activity based company and promote the well-being of our young people through a wide and varied programme of activities, sports and hobbies.
Channels & Choices is committed to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of children & young people. The post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of right to work in the UK.
CV’s will not be considered without an application form.
For further information please contact Paulette Holliday or Jessica Seal in HR on 01304 361888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org