Due to up and coming expansion, rewarding opportunities have arisen and we are currently looking a Deputy Manager within our Therapeutic Children’s Homes who are keen for a new and exciting role.
Competitive Salary Range of £26,520 – £29,370 per annum (based on 2 sleep in shifts per week). We offer 28 days paid annual leave per year and a loyalty scheme which rewards you with extra annual leave following 2 years of service.
Channels & Choices is an award winning, dynamic company specialising in children’s residential care, Fostering and Education based in South East Kent. OFSTED judge our services as ‘Outstanding’
The role of the Deputy Manager is to support and work alongside the Registered Manager of the Residential Children’s Home in efficiently co-managing the house budget, overseeing the development of staff and the young people in placement, formulating and updating placement plans, risk assessments and positive handling plans.
You will support the registered individual in the delivery of high quality service provision incorporating care, welfare, safety and security of all children and young people in his / her care and promoting the Company’s ethos as an activity based organization. In accordance with Channels and Choices health and safety policies and procedures, the registered individual is responsible for ensuring Health and Safety guidelines are adhered to. Also this role is to support the staff team in managing the day to day tasks of the home, working on shift as the lead person for role modelling and developing good practice. Work closely with external partners and professionals, regulatory bodies and Local Authorities.
- Due to Ofsted Regulations, all employees in our Residential Service must be over 20 years of age;
- Experience of working within a children’s residential care setting or similar
- Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Residential Service or equivalent
- GCSE in Maths and English at C Grade of above
- Physically fit
- Resilient, enthusiatic and motivated person
- Ability to lead staff teams effectively and confidently
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Calm, approachable manner, adaptable and non-judgemental
- Able to work under own initiative and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational skills
- Knowledge of Child Protection & Safeguarding
- Ability to drive and holds a current driving licence
- NVQ or Diploma Level 5 in Leadership & Management in Residential Children’s Services or equivalent
- Previous experience in a Deputy Manager or Senior Role in a Residential Children’s Care Setting
- Experience in the line management of staff, including supervisions
- Social Work Qualification or equivalent
- Any relevant or transferrable skills, such as First Aid trained
- Knowledge of the Children Act & Children’s Homes Regulations
- Understanding and knowledge of Therapeutic Approach to Childcare
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure that you and the staff team work in accordance with the ‘Statement of Purpose and Function’ of the home, updating relevant Channels and Choices documents as directed by your manager.
- Demonstrate effective leadership to direct and support the staff team to deliver person centered childcare working towards the best outcomes for each young person.
- Manage, supervise and mentor staff; organize work patterns and training, and conduct and record regular supervisions and appraisals.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge, implement, adhere to and give guidance to other staff on: Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015, The Children Act 1989 & 2004, Care Standards Act 2000, Equal Opportunities Policies, National Quality Standards for Children’s Homes, and Local Authority Child Protection Procedures, and any subsequent changes to said legislation.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Ofsted Inspection guidelines, promptly implementing any recommendations following an Inspection. Timely notification of any significant events or changes within the home, including completion of Schedule 6 Reports within the given timeframe as instructed by Channels and Choices.
- To ensure that you and the staff team implement and adhere to Channels and Choices Safeguarding Policy and Local Authority Safeguarding procedures.
- Work cohesively and in partnership with team members and other professionals (Social Workers, Police, Education, and Health) to contribute and monitor the multidisciplinary assessment of children’s needs, support children in order for them to reach their full potential as outlined in their care plans, and in accordance with Channels and Choices Policies & Procedures, Local Authority instructions and relevant legislation.
- Ensure Local Authority Social Workers are notified of all significant events, incidents, important changes and physical interventions within 24 hours.
- Ensure that young people receive a sensitive residential service which best meets their individual social, racial, psychological, educational, cultural, physical identity and health care needs according to the ‘Statement of Purpose and Function’ of the Home and Channels and Choices policies and procedures, and children facing particular crisis and stresses are offered appropriate additional support in a timely manner.
- Undertake all administrative tasks necessary for the effective running of the home within Channels and Choices Policies and Procedures. This is to include Petty Cash/Budget and Rotas and any other administrative tasks as determined by the Registered Manager.
- As directed by your Manager ensure that the home is fit for purpose by ensuring that Fire Regulations and Health and Safety Regulations are met, Quality Assurance and Regulation 44 Reports action points are addressed promptly. Appropriate records are kept and that fire drill procedures are adhered to in accordance with Channels and Choices policies and procedures.
- Supporting the Manager in the performance and development of staff by conducting regular supervisions and annual appraisal process in order to promote a culture of self-awareness and understanding.
- Participate effectively in the on call duty system.
- Attend monthly Manager, TDP, Community and house meetings and implement any actions as and when appropriate.
- Complete appropriate training within the required timeframes, ensuring that an up to date training record is maintained.
- Undertaking other duties as may be deemed appropriate from time to time.
We are looking for candidates who have proven skills and experience in a Residential Care Setting or equivalent setting and are passionate about improving the lives and outcomes for children and young people. We are an activity based company and promote the well-being of our young people through a wide and varied programme of activities, sports and hobbies.
Channels & Choices is committed to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of children & young people. The post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure, an employment background check, satisfactory references & verification of right to work in the UK.